How Do GS1 Standards Enable Traceability for Enhanced Food Safety?
Unique identification of products and locations and the standardized exchange of data about those products enable companies to be prepared for quick and precise recalls.
Businesses, trade associations, industry groups, and regulatory agencies are collaborating to drive consumer confidence in food safety. GS1 US® works with all of these stakeholders to enable product traceability and food safety using GS1 Standards.
Food Safety Resources
Implementation guides for traceability
- Implementation Roadmap for GS1-128 Barcodes on Retail Grocery Cases
- Explore Critical Tracking Events (CTEs) and Key Data Elements (KDEs)
- Foodservice Implementation Guideline for Case-Level Traceability Using GS1 Standards
- Ocean Mist Farms End-to-end produce traceability translates to end-to-end efficiencies and food safety
- IPC/Subway Delivers the Promise of End-to-End Traceability
- Tyson Foods Putting customers and consumers first by leveraging GS1 Standards for stability and velocity
Education and Training
- See the value of traceability in foodservice and retail grocery. Watch Video
- Improving Traceability and Food Safety with GS1 Standards Video
- GS1 Standards in Action Video for Fresh Foods Video
- Explore the Benefits of GS1 Standards in the Fresh Foods Supply Chain
- Download the GS1 US comments to the FDA on the Institute of Food Technologists traceability recommendations in support of the Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA)
News and articles
- Preparing for Traceability Regulations and Supply Chain Digitization View on GFSI Bog
- Three Tips for Conducting a Mock Recall in the New Era of Smarter Food Safety View on Refrigerated and Frozen Food
- A Deeper Dive into Interoperability: Exploring the Flow of Data in the Seafood Supply Chain. View on Food Safety Magazine
- On the Frontier of a New Era of Smarter Food Safety View on Food Institute
- 3 Ways to Help Meet the Needs of the Conscious Consumer View on Food Logistics
- GS1 US, on FDA's New Era of Smarter Food Safety View on Food Safety Strategies
- The Three Drivers of Food Traceability Changes in 2020 View on Food Safety Magazine
- The Case for Trace View on Progressive Grocer
Government need? Email email@example.com.