Last Updated: October 20, 2021
To the extent we provide you notice on our Sites of different or additional privacy policies or practices (e.g., at the point of our collection), those additional terms shall govern such data collection and use.
TABLE OF CONTENTS
- INFORMATION WE COLLECT ON OUR SITES
Information You Provide to Us
Information We Collect Automatically As You Access and Use the Sites
Interactions with Third Party Services
California / Delaware Do Not Track Disclosures
- HOW WE USE INFORMATION COLLECTED THROUGH OUR SITES
- WITH WHOM WE MAY SHARE INFORMATION
Third Parties Providing Services on Our Behalf
When You Agree to Have Your Personal Information Shared
Sweepstakes, Contests and Promotions
Agency Reporting, Legal Protections and Law Enforcement
EEOC / Affirmative Action Reporting
- INFORMATION YOU DISCLOSE PUBLICLY ON OUR SITES
- INFORMATION WE RECEIVE FROM THIRD PARTIES
- AD SERVING AND TRAFFIC MEASUREMENT SERVICES WE MAY USE; HOW TO “OPT OUT” OF RECEIVING ADVERTISING RELEVANT TO YOU
- UPDATING YOUR INFORMATION AND OPTING OUT FROM SHARING YOUR INFORMATION
- THIRD PARTY CONTENT, LINKS TO OTHER WEB SITES AND OTHER WEB SITES THAT DISPLAY OR CONTAIN GS1 US CONTENT
- CONSENT TO TRANSFER
- SUPPLEMENTAL PRIVACY NOTICE FOR RESIDENTS OF THE EU AND EEA
WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION IN CONNECTION WITH YOUR RELATIONSHIP WITH GS1 US AND FOR COMPLETING YOUR TRANSACTIONS WITH GS1 US AND RELATED ENTITIES. CLICK HERE FOR THE FULL DESCRIPTION OF THE INFORMATION WE COLLECT AND CLICK HERE FOR THE DESCRIPTION OF HOW WE USE IT. PLEASE REMEMBER THAT IF YOU PARTICIPATE IN FORUMS AND OTHER SOCIAL NETWORKING FEATURES ON THE SITES, YOUR INFORMATION MAY BE MADE PUBLIC. WE DO NOT SHARE INDIVIDUAL PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH NON-AFFILIATED THIRD PARTIES FOR THEIR MARKETING PURPOSES WITHOUT GIVING YOU THE OPPORTUNITY TO CONSENT, BUT WE MAY SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION AND CORPORATE ENTITY INFORMATION YOU PROVIDE WITH GS1 US AFFILIATES AND MEMBER COMPANIES FOR THEIR MARKETING PURPOSES, SUBJECT TO YOUR RIGHT TO OPT-OUT IN SECTION 7 BELOW. CLICK HERE FOR MORE DETAILS REGARDING WHEN WE MAY SHARE INFORMATION WITH THIRD PARTIES.
PLEASE NOTE THAT WE MAY WORK WITH VARIOUS NETWORK ADVERTISERS AND SIMILAR VENDORS TO SERVE OUR ADS ON THIRD PARTY WEB SITES AND ACROSS THE INTERNET. THESE COMPANIES MAY COLLECT CERTAIN INFORMATION ABOUT YOUR VISITS TO THIS OR OTHER WEB SITES. WE DO NOT SHARE PERSONAL INFORMATION WITH THESE THIRD PARTIES, BUT AD NETWORK PROVIDERS AND/OR ANALYTICS SERVICE PROVIDERS MAY SET AND ACCESS THEIR OWN TRACKING TECHNOLOGIES (INCLUDING COOKIES) AND THEY MAY OTHERWISE COLLECT OR HAVE ACCESS TO INFORMATION ABOUT YOU. FOR MORE INFORMATION, CLICK HERE.
Information You Provide To Us
Note that the Sites are directed to a general audience. Accordingly, we do not knowingly collect any Personal Information from children younger than the age of thirteen (13) and we will delete any Personal Information collected that we later determine to be from a user younger than the age of thirteen (13). In the event that we become aware that we have collected personal information from any child, we will dispose of that information in accordance with the Children’s Online Privacy Protection Act (“COPPA”) and other applicable laws and regulations. If you are a parent or guardian and you believe that your child under the age of thirteen (13) has provided us with personal information without COPPA-required consent, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Please note that information submitted to the Sites via a “contact us” or other similar function may not receive a response. We will not use the information you provide us via the “contact us” tool to contact you for unrelated marketing purposes unless we disclose otherwise.
Information We Collect Automatically As You Access and Use the Sites
In addition to any Personal Information or other information that you choose to submit to us, whenever you visit or interact with the Sites or GS1 US content, GS1 US, as well as any third-party advertisers and/or service providers, may use a variety of technologies that automatically (or passively) collect information about how the Sites and content are accessed and used (“Usage Information”).
This Usage Information may include:
- your IP address or other unique identifier is a number that is automatically assigned to your computer, mobile device, tablet or other device (collectively, “Device”) used by you to access the Sites, and our computers identify your Device by it;
- your Device functionality (including browser type, operating system, hardware, mobile network information);
- the areas or content within our Sites that you visit and your activities there, including remembering you and your preferences;
- your Device location;
- your Device characteristics; and
- certain other Device data, including the time of day, the URL that referred you to our Sites, among other information.
Usage Information does not generally identify an individual, but if GS1 US uses Usage Information to be able to identify a specific individual person, GS1 US treats it as Personal Information. Some mobile service providers may also provide us or our third-party service providers with information regarding the physical location of the Device used to access the Sites. A few of the methods and technologies that may be used on the Sites to collect Usage Information include, without limitation, the following (and subsequent technology and methods hereafter developed):
- Cookies. A cookie is a data file placed on a Device when it is used to visit the Sites. A Flash cookie is a data file placed on a Device via the Adobe Flash plug-in that may be built-into or downloaded by you to your Device. Cookies and Flash cookies may be used for many purposes, including, without limitation, remembering you and your preferences and tracking your visits to our web pages. If you choose to disable cookies or Flash cookies on your Device, some features of the Sites may not function properly.
- Web Beacons. Small graphic images or other web programming code called web beacons, (also known as “1x1 GIFs” or “clear GIFs”) may be included in our Sites and e-mail messages. Web beacons may be invisible to you, but any electronic image or other web programming code inserted into a web page or e-mail can act as a web beacon. Web beacons or similar technologies may be used for a number of purposes, including, without limitation, to count visitors to the Sites, to monitor how users navigate the Sites, to count how many e-mails that were sent were actually opened or to determine whether content sent was actually viewed.
- Embedded Scripts. An embedded script is programming code that is designed to collect information about your interactions with the Sites, such as the links you click on. The code is temporarily downloaded onto your Device from our server or a third party service provider, is active only while you are connected to the Sites, and is deactivated or deleted thereafter.
- Browser Fingerprinting. Collection and analysis of information from your Device, such as, without limitation, your operating system, plug-ins, system fonts and other data, for purposes of identification.
- ETag, or entity tag. A feature of the cache in browsers. It is an opaque identifier assigned by a web server to a specific version of a resource found at a URL. If the resource content at that URL ever changes, a new and different ETag is assigned. ETag tracking may generate unique tracking values even where the consumer blocks HTTP, Flash, and/or HTML5 cookies.
- Recognition Technologies. Technologies, including application of statistical probability to data sets, which attempt to recognize or make assumptions about users and devices (e.g., that a user of multiple devices is the same user).
We may use tracking technologies for a variety of purposes, including:
- Targeting-Related. We may use tracking technologies to deliver content, including ads relevant to your interests on our Sites and third-party services based on how you interact with our advertisements and/or content. This includes using tracking technologies to understand the usefulness to you of the content and ads that have been delivered to you.
Our Sites use various analytics tools in order to maintain and improve our web-based services, including Google Analytics. Google Analytics may automatically collect personal data about you, such as your IP address, in order to track and report website traffic, including across multiple devices and sessions. Google uses the collected data to monitor and analyze the use of our Sites and Services solely for our benefit. The third party cookies used for Google Analytics may be kept for up to two years. If you have already consented to the Google Analytics tracker, you can choose to block or delete the Google Analytics tracker by referring to your browser’s settings and instructions. For more information on Google’s privacy practices, please visit the Google Privacy Terms web page.
Your browser or device may include “Do Not Track” functionality. At this time, the Sites do not respond to browser “Do Not Track” signals.
There may be other tracking technologies now and later devised and used by us in connection with the Sites. Further, third parties may use tracking technologies in connection with our Sites, which may include the collection of information about your online activities over time and across third-party websites or online services and Devices. We may not control those tracking technologies and we are not responsible for them.
Interactions with Third-Party Services
California /Delaware Do Not Track Disclosures
Various third parties are developing or have developed signals or other mechanisms for the expression of consumer choice regarding the collection of information about an individual consumer’s online activities over time and across third-party websites or online services (e.g., browser do not track signals). Currently, we do not monitor or take any action with respect to these signals or other mechanisms.
Third Parties Providing Services on Our Behalf. We may from time to time employ third parties to perform services on our behalf or on behalf of the Sites, such as: (i) hosting our Sites, (ii) designing and/or operating the Sites’ features, (iii) tracking the Sites’ activities and analytics; (iv) enabling us to send you e-mails and other communications, (v) fulfilling and processing orders for products or services, and (vi) assisting with promotions, conferences, surveys or performing other administrative services. We may provide with these third parties access to user information in order for them to complete a requested transaction or otherwise perform services for you or for GS1 US. Third-party analytics and other service providers may set and access their own tracking technologies on your Device and they may otherwise collect or have access to information about you, potentially including Personal Information, about you. We are not responsible for those third party technologies or activities arising out of them. We are not responsible for the effectiveness of or compliance with any third parties’ opt-out options.
Sweepstakes, Contests and Promotions. We may offer sweepstakes, contests and other promotions (each, a “Promotion”) through the Site or elsewhere that may require registration. If you choose to enter or otherwise participate in a Promotion, your Personal Information may be disclosed to third parties in connection with the administration of such Promotion, such as in connection with winner selection, prize fulfillment, and as required by law, such as on a winners list. By entering a Promotion, you are agreeing to the official rules that govern that Promotion, which may contain specific requirements of you, including, except where prohibited by law, allowing the sponsor and/or other parties to use your name, voice and/or likeness in advertising or marketing materials.
Business Transfers. We may share your information and data, including, without limitation, Personal Information and corporate information with other entities affiliated with us for internal reasons, primarily for business and operational purposes. GS1 US or any of its assets, including the Sites, may be sold, or other transactions may occur in which your Personal Information is one of the business assets for the transaction. In such a case, your Personal Information may be one of the business assets we transfer to a subsequent owner, co-owner or operator of the Sites or applicable database. Hence, GS1 US reserves the right to disclose and transfer user information, including Personal Information in connection with a corporate merger, consolidation, restructuring, the sale of certain of GS1 US’s stock and/or assets, or other corporate change, including, without limitation, during the course of any due diligence process. Further, we may use IP address or other unique identifiers to identify users, and may do so in cooperation with third parties such as copyright owners, internet service providers, wireless service providers and/or law enforcement agencies, including disclosing such information to third parties, all in our discretion, subject to applicable law. Such disclosures may be carried out without notice to you.
EEOC / Affirmative Action Reporting. Please note that if you apply for a job with GS1 US, then in conjunction with laws and regulations enforced by the Equal Employment Opportunity Commission (“EEOC”), the Office of Federal Contract Compliance Programs (“OFCCP”) and similar state and local regulatory agencies, we may ask you to provide us with self-identifying information (such as veteran status, gender and ethnicity). Providing such self-identifying information is voluntary, but if you do provide us with such information, we may submit that information to the EEOC, the OFCCP and similar state and local regulatory agencies for business-related purposes, including, without limitation, responding to information requests, fulfilling regulatory reporting requirements and defending against employment related complaints.
Our Sites may offer message boards, chat rooms and other public areas (collectively, “Community Forums”) where you can engage in social networking, interact with others, as well as have the opportunity to submit photographs, writings, music, video, audio recordings, computer graphics, pictures, data, questions, comments, suggestions or other content, including Personal Information (collectively, “User Submissions”). To participate in certain Community Forums, you may be asked to select a username, screen name or member name and password.
GS1 US may receive information about you from third parties. For example, if you are on another web site and you opt-in to receive information from GS1 US, that web site will forward to us your e-mail address and other information about you so that we may contact you as requested. You may also choose to participate in a third party application or feature (such as a Facebook application or a similar application or feature on a third party web site) through which you allow us to collect (or the third party to share) information about you, including Personal Information. The third party may allow you to remove the application or feature, in which case we will no longer collect information about you through the application or feature, but we may retain the information previously collected; provided, however, if you are located or a resident of the EU, please see Section 12 below on our retention of your information. In addition, we may receive information about you if other users of a third party web site give us access to their profiles and you are one of their “connections” or information about you is otherwise accessible through your “connections” web page, profile page, or similar page on a social networking or other third party web site or interactive service. And, if you choose to “like” content on our Sites or to otherwise post information from or via our Sites to a third party web site, feature or application, that information will become public and the third party web site may have access to information about you and your use of our Sites.
Further, while sites use a variety of companies to serve advertisements, you may also wish to visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/optout_nonppii.asp, which provides information regarding this practice by Network Advertising Initiative (“NAI”) members, and your choices regarding having this information used by these companies, including the “opt-out” procedures of NAI members. Opting out of one or more NAI members only means that those NAI members no longer will be allowed under their own rules to deliver Behavioral Ads to you, but does not mean you will no longer receive any targeted content and/or ads. Also, if your browsers are configured to reject cookies when you visit this opt-out page, or you subsequently erase your cookies, use a different Device or change web browsers, your NAI opt-out may not, or may no longer, be effective. You may also opt-out of receiving Behavioral Ads on participating sites and services by visiting the Digital Advertising Alliance (“DAA”) website at http://www.aboutads.info/choices/#completed. Similar limitations may apply to the DAA opt-out. We are not responsible for effectiveness of or compliance with any third parties’ opt-out options or programs.
GS1 US may provide web pages or other mechanisms through the Sites which you can correct or update some of the Personal Information you have provided to us, including, without limitation, through registration with the Sites. You can also contact Member Support to update your information at +1 937.435.3870.
If you have consented to have your information shared with third parties for their marketing purposes and you later decide you want to opt-out from future sharing or if you decide you do not want your information shared with GS1 US affiliates or member companies in the future, you can do so by either using the web pages or mechanisms on the Site (if and when they become available), or by calling us at +1 937.435.3870.
If you receive a marketing communication from us by e-mail, and you later decide you want to opt-out from receiving future commercial e-mails, you may opt-out by following the opt-out instructions provided to you in that e-mail. Please note that we reserve the right to send you certain communications relating to the transactions you initiate, your account or your use of the Sites and these transactional account messages may be unaffected if you choose to opt-out from marketing communications.
In accordance with our routine record keeping, we may delete certain records that contain Personal Information you have submitted through the Sites. We are under no obligation to store such Personal Information indefinitely and disclaim any liability arising out of, or related to, the destruction of such Personal Information. In addition, you should be aware that it is not always possible to completely remove or delete all of your information from our databases without some residual data because of backups and other reasons. Also, if you have made any public postings on a social networking feature, such as in a Community Forum or other community sections of the Sites, these communications may not generally be removed.
We incorporate commercially reasonable safeguards to help protect and secure your Personal Information. However, no electronic data transmission or storage of information can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. Please note that we cannot ensure or warrant the security of any information you transmit to us, and you use the Sites and provide us with your information at your own risk.
When you are on the Sites you may see certain content, which may be delivered by a non-affiliated third party, and you may be directed to other content, web sites or other online services that are operated and controlled by third parties that are beyond our control. This includes links from advertisers, sponsors and partners that may use our logo(s) as part of a co-branding agreement and other links off or our Site. In addition, GS1 US widgets or other GS1 US content may be included on web pages and web sites that are not associated with GS1 US and over which we have no control. These third parties may send their own cookies and similar tracking technologies to your Device, they may independently collect data or solicit Personal Information and may or may not have their own published privacy policies. GS1 US is not responsible for the data collection and privacy practices employed by any third party or their sites or apps and they may be tracking you across multiple online services and may be sharing the results of that tracking with us and/or others. These third parties may have their own terms of service, privacy policies or other policies and ask you to agree to the same. Be sure to review any available policies before submitting any personally identifiable information to a third-party online service or otherwise interacting with it and exercise caution in connection with these services.
The Sites are operated in the United States. If you are located in the Mexico, Canada or elsewhere outside of the United States, please be aware that information we collect will be transferred to and processed in the United States. The data protection laws in the United States may differ from those of the country in which you are located, and your Personal Information may be subject to access requests from governments, courts, or law enforcement in the United States according to laws of the United States. By using the Sites, or providing us with any information, you consent to this transfer, processing and storage of your information in the United States, a jurisdiction in which the privacy laws may not be as comprehensive as those in the country where you reside and/or are a citizen; provided, however, if you are located or a resident of the EU, please review Section 12 below as we process your data consistent with the requirements of the GDPR (defined below).
This Supplemental Privacy Notice provides additional information on how we process personal data that we collect or receive from residents of the EU and EEA and provides information as relates to EU users’ rights, and GS1 US’s responsibilities, under the EU General Data Protection Regulation (“GDPR”).
Legal Basis for Processing EU personal data
GS1 US may processes the personal data of EU users based on one (1) or more of the legal bases below:
- Legitimate Interest. We may process your personal data as required to pursue our legitimate business interests, provided our legitimate interests are not overridden by your rights and interests. For example, we may process your personal data, to manage, develop and improve our products and services; support our customers and sales operations; protect our staff and assets; communicate information that supplements our products and services and ensure compliance with laws and regulations.
- Performance of an agreement. We may process your personal data to enter into agreements with you or to fulfil our obligations under agreements with you or your organization. This may include delivering and managing our products and services or allowing customers to use our products, services and supporting tools.
- Legal obligation. We may process your personal data to comply with applicable laws and regulations, establish or exercise our legal rights. For example, in connection with legal claims, compliance, regulatory and investigative purposes.
- Consent. In some instances, we may process your personal data based on your consent. This is most common where we cannot rely on an alternative legal basis or we are required by law to ask for your consent in the context of some of our sales and marketing activities, online data collection tools, or surveys. Where the processing of your personal data by us, is based on consent, you have the right to withdraw that consent without detriment at any time by contacting us at email@example.com.
Data Retention Period
We retain transaction data and other personal data for a period of time that is necessary to fulfill a legitimate business purpose and deleting or de-identifying the information thereafter, except where longer retention periods are required by law. We retain unsubscribe requests permanently to comply with our obligation to refrain from sending marketing emails after receipt of an opt-out request.
Your Rights under the GDPR
You have the following rights under certain circumstances:
- Request access or copies of the personal data GS1 US processes about you;
- Correct or rectify your personal data, if inaccurate or incomplete;
- Delete your personal data, unless an exception applies. For example, we may need to keep your personal data to comply with our legal obligations;
- Restrict the processing of your personal data, in certain circumstances. For example, if you contest the accuracy of your personal data, you may request that we restrict the processing of your personal data for the time it takes us to verify the accuracy of the data;
- Data portability, in certain circumstances. In order to deliver our products and services, however, we cannot transmit your personal data to another organization; and
- Object to processing of your personal data, in certain circumstances. For example, you may object to direct marketing including the use of your personal data for direct marketing profiling or where we process your personal data because we have legitimate interest in doing so.
These rights may be limited in some situations where we can demonstrate that GS1 US has a legal obligation or legitimate interest to process your personal data.
To exercise your rights explained above, please contact us by email at firstname.lastname@example.org, with details of your request.