Businesses, trade associations, industry groups, and regulatory agencies are collaborating to drive consumer confidence in food safety. GS1 US® works with all of these stakeholders to enable product traceability and food safety using GS1 Standards.
How Do GS1 Standards Enable Traceability for Enhanced Food Safety?
Unique identification of products and locations and the standardized exchange of data about those products enable companies to be prepared for quick and precise recalls.
FSMA 204 Final Rule has been published and GS1 Standards can help you prepare. Start now to meet the deadline of January 2026.
GS1 US Resources for FSMA 204
GS1 US Initiative Members can participate in the FSMA 204 workgroup to continue developing the next iterations of the Guideline. Contact Lucy Angarita at: firstname.lastname@example.org or Manali Pradhan at: email@example.com
- GS1 US Application of GS1 System of Standards to Support FSMA 204 Guideline
- FSMA 204 FAQs
- Culinary Collaborations LLC Case Study - A Powerful Traceability Program Tracks an Ocean of Data While Preparing for FSMA 204
- FSMA Final Rule on Requirements for Additional Traceability Records for Certain Foods on FDA.gov
- FDA Food Safety Modernization Act (FSMA) Food Traceability Rule Supply Chain Example Produce
Additional Traceability Resources
Food Safety Resources
- Case Study: CKE Restaurants Trace Food
- Ocean Mist Farms End-to-end produce traceability translates to end-to-end efficiencies and food safety
- IPC/Subway Delivers the Promise of End-to-End Traceability
- Tyson Foods Putting customers and consumers first by leveraging GS1 Standards for stability and velocity
Education and Training
- See the value of traceability in foodservice and retail grocery. Watch Video
- GS1 Standards in Action Video for Fresh Foods Video
- Explore the Benefits of GS1 Standards in the Fresh Foods Supply Chain
News and articles
- Preparing for Traceability Regulations and Supply Chain Digitization View on GFSI Bog
- Three Tips for Conducting a Mock Recall in the New Era of Smarter Food Safety View on Refrigerated and Frozen Food
- A Deeper Dive into Interoperability: Exploring the Flow of Data in the Seafood Supply Chain. View on Food Safety Magazine
- On the Frontier of a New Era of Smarter Food Safety View on Food Institute
- 3 Ways to Help Meet the Needs of the Conscious Consumer View on Food Logistics
- GS1 US, on FDA's New Era of Smarter Food Safety View on Food Safety Strategies
- The Three Drivers of Food Traceability Changes in 2020 View on Food Safety Magazine
- The Case for Trace View on Progressive Grocer
- Go to the Global Food Traceability Center
- Go to the Produce Traceability Initiative
Questions? firstname.lastname@example.org or email@example.com.
Government need? Email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join our mailing list
Sign up for GS1 US foodservice and retail grocery industry updates.